It was 1986. Our hair was sprayed high and big. Real BIG! Our eyes were lined in fluorescent blue pencil and our bubble gum pink gowns were right on trend. And yes, it was the night we had waited for and dreamt about for years. It was PROM NIGHT!!!! Of course, it was fun to get picked up by our dapper dates, receive corsages, and ride in a white stretch limo, but seriously, the real excitement for us stemmed from surveying dress after dress of colorful silks and taffetas splashed across the dance floor. We still get a teenage kind of thrill when a young client comes to us in search of the ideal prom dress. While things have definitely changed since 1986, some classic styles are still around with an added modern flair. Here is a list of top trends for Prom 2013.
1. Metallic Gold or Silver short cocktail dresses
2. Ravishing Red floor length gowns
3. Bright white dresses
4. Gowns with long slits
5. Gowns with a hi/low asymmetrical hem
6. Sweetheart necklines-a classic, romantic silhouette that has been around for years. Very flattering!
7. Embellished prints
8. Sequined gowns
9. Bold bright colors! Young celebs on the red carpet were wearing bold yellows, oranges and blues this past award season and prom designers followed suit.
10. Dramatic platform shoes or booties to go with the dresses
Check out these hot numbers by Jovani…